Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Oldie, but goodie...

An oldie (Country Home 2004) but goodie of Thomas O'Brien's weekend house in Bellport, Long Island. This house immediately captivated me and has been in my files ever since. I love it as much today as I did then. Maybe because architecture like this (built in 1833) doesn't exist in Seattle unless it's a reproduction (and usually a bad reproduction at that).

While the architecture could win me over alone, what really made this house memorable was how Thomas O'Brien modernized the spaces with his mix of furnishings and state of the art architectural upgrades. Unlike most people who would opt for pure traditional - O'Brien mixes his own designs with Chinese Chippendale, Colonial Revival and vintage modern pieces. The balance is perfect and beautiful.

The outside of the house. Do you think anyone would notice if my moving van showed up?

My favorite room. I drool over the coffee table. So sleek yet classic. For someone who loves symmetry, this table was love at first sight.

Classic and unassuming. Love the high bathtub with subway tile, and European shower head. A nice twist on a traditional tub.

Not crazy about the desk, as it's very shabby chic (granted it was 2004), but the bookcases are marvelous and the chairs add a sense of whimsy to the space.


Gorgeous entry. Love the high gloss white floors and how they take the "traditional" out of the expected traditional foyer.

Love it. Thanks Thomas!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...