Sunday, February 7, 2010

Again

If you've been reading me for awhile, you know I have an obsession with grass cloth. I can't seem to get enough of it. I think it evokes the summers I spent in Laguna Beach while also blending my love of traditional east coast architecture. It can transform any space with it's casual texture yet dramatic flair. It gives the room a warmth that regular wall coverings or paint can't.

I love how this house uses it in the main living room as well as the master bedroom. It helps highlight the beautiful woodwork and windows, while also making the space feel more intimate.




Photos courtesy of Traditional Home
Without it the house could look like another builder spec. The new craftsman development house that's cropped up all over Seattle. Decorated with pottery barn and mission furniture, and the traditional beige, yellow or red painted walls. Thank goodness this house didn't meet that fate.

There's a grass cloth color for everyone. Shimmery blue, silver, chocolate, light purple, dark purple, red, apple green, damask print, stripes...the list could go on and on.
While I love fun colors for spaces like dining rooms or powder rooms, I'm partial to the neutral colors for large open rooms.
I've finally convinced my husband to let me cover our bedroom in grass cloth. Now for the hallways, dining room and living room.
Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Tensy said...

We bought our house 21 years ago and the living room had peach colored grass cloth (don't ask, it was the early 1980s and my decorator and I gagged when we saw it, but this was mild in comparison to the overdone peach and blue curtains, UGH!) I wanted to rip it out and my decorator just said to paint it a warm light beige and we have loved it ever since. I get a kick out of the fact that this type of wall covering is back in fashion. Good design never dies...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...