Monday, January 11, 2010

Blended Kitchen

I'm pretty traditional when it comes to kitchens. I prefer very classic painted cabinets to the ultra modern or stained wood. But, when I saw this kitchen it made me catch my breath.

Image from Canadian House & Home. Design by David Powell of Toronto's Powell & Bonnell

It has the perfect blend of traditional and contemporary for someone like me. I don't think I'd get tired of being in this room 24/7. Which to me is the test of a great designed kitchen. It's the room we spend the most time in and one of the most expensive to renovate. Who wants to remodel every ten years?

I love that the homeowners didn't try to recreate a period kitchen, yet made sure it maintained the integrity 1855 Georgian style house. By using traditional shaker style cabinets they ensured continuity with the architecture. I think one of the biggest mistakes people make when designing kitchens is not considering the style of the house and just choosing cabinets that they like. Then that room sticks out like a sore thumb.

But what really stopped me was the 7 x 14 walnut island with the butcher block top. (The kitchen, by the way, is 17 x 42 ) It is the perfect spot for small intimate dinners, large family gatherings or buffets. What I wouldn't give to have a kitchen that size with this incredible island. Maybe I could actually make dinner without my kids right underneath me. I know, I know, I'm just dreaming now.

While the island is the first thing you notice, the hero of the room is that incredible light fixture. I love how it complements the contemporary island yet balances the traditional windows and cabinets. It makes a statement without screaming, "here I am. Didn't expect to see that in here did you?"

For me, this kitchen strikes the perfect balance of old house meets today's living.

2 comments:

kitchenguy said...

I like it... never though I would, but this one, just has it...

Kitchen Cabinets Toronto said...

The kitchen is the soul of every home. This is one of the most used of the house.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...