Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy New Year (that is if you're still there)

Happy New Year and Happy week day back to work for many.

The Christmas season in my house starts at Thanksgiving and doesn't end until the 2ND of January. The joys of split families. The bonus is the kids get five Christmases! Thus, the reason you haven't seen a post from me since December 2. Between school Christmas pageants, shopping and holiday parties, all my energy went towards keeping my family fed and clean and my interior projects moving forward. Oh, I also forgot to mention that my kids wanted a puppy for Christmas so that threw a wrench into the holidays as well. Just when I started sleeping again (thanks to my sleepless 4 year old) I had to start doing the 2am potty break for the puppy. (the puppy didn't work out but more on that later as I search for a new puppy). On top of all that, the idea of getting up early or staying up late to post went out the window.

But if you've been following me at all, you know I'm not the best at balance. I seem to thrive in chaos and deadlines. While I may be thriving, something else has fallen to the wayside. So my apologies if you wondered what happened to me during this time.

2010 is going to be my year to create some balance in my life.

Here's how:
1) Set work hours and only work within those hours so I can spend time with the kids and my husband.
2) Not pick on my husband about every little habit of his. You know the ones. The ones that made you fall in love with him but now make you crazy. A happier husband will mean a happier wife. (This is not going to be easy for me. Type A married to Type A creates for some interesting scenarios).
3) Set and stick to an exercise schedule to release the stress. I'm one of those that stick to an exercise regime for a couple months and just when I start to reap the rewards I stop.
4) Spend time on the friendships that matter.
5) Concentrate on the big things. The small things will fall into place.
6) Accept that I am the only woman in a house of three boys. My life is and will be about ESPN, bowl games, potty humor and daily football and dodge ball games in my family room. (yes an actual family room with furniture. Not an empty rec room where nothing can break). You know the commercial where the men in the family are are playing "finger football" in the kitchen with a bag of Frito's. You should of seen their eyes light up when they saw it. A life of Frito's on the floor is in my near future. But hey, it's my life and I'm going to love it.

If I can do these things I should be able to simplify my life and have time I need to create the life I want.

2010, I'm ready for you.

What are your New Years Resolutions? I'd love to know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!
So glad to see that you are back.

It takes some guts to put your resolutions down for everyone to see.
I haven't even begun to verbalize mine yet.

All Women Everywhere said...

I can totally relate to pretty much everything you've captured here, especially the work-life balance.... it is so easy to be dragged too far to either end of the spectrum, especially when you have young kids, and I think creating boundaries is the only way to prevent it. My problem is, when I try to stick to the work boundaries, I find it hard to return. Goofing off with my kids is tough to beat!

Happy New Year! Hope to see you again soon.

Leah

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh today when I read your comments. I am the mother to 3 teenage boys and live a life of endless ESPN, potty humor, and inside sports games. It really is a pretty fun life! (sometimes though, I would just like to watch "girl" tv! Have a wonderful 2010.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...