Friday, September 11, 2009

Good Finds: Weekday Wine

There are two things I can't live without. My cup (or cups) of coffee first thing in the morning and a glass of red wine while I'm making dinner. Those are my vices. My kids know that mommy can't do anything until she's had her coffee in the morning and that mommy likes to have "mommy juice" at night. I know it sounds bad, but just ask any other mom with two small kids and she'll have something that is her vice/reward for making it through the day.

I'm not fussy when it comes to my wine. I don't pay attention to the label or how much a bottle costs. If I like it, I'll drink it. I like my wine medium bodied and smooth without a lot of spice or tannins. I love blends and favor French and Italian wine.

So, in celebration of one of my vices, I thought I share some of my favorite under $10 reds with you. It is a recession and while you're cooking, who needs a more expensive bottle? While the price is great, these wines are fine for casual dinner parties as well. I've served many of them to rave reviews. You know which friends will appreciate them and not think less of you.

So, go ahead. Enjoy a glass.


Don't let the twist off cap scare you. Every time I serve this wine people always are stunned than it's under $10 dollars. I always have this wine on hand. The white version is equally great.


Crowd pleaser -- The Ravenswood Zin. I'm sure you've had it. Almost everyone loves this one. Great with BBQ, or meat.


I love this wine and you can get it at Costco. Bonus. This is a great everyday wine and even my high-end wine friends like it.

Cellar No. 8 Cabernet Sauvignon. This ones a little harder to find (meaning it's probably not at your local grocery store, although I have heard rumors that it's at Trader Joe's...) but worth it.

Last but not least, The Coppola Rosso. This is the wine that started it all for me at the winery years ago. After all those expensive wines in Napa, this one just grabbed me and said "hello".

So, don't let the price scare you. Try one and use the extra money towards a new pair of shoes. You'll wonder why you were spending so much money on more expensive bottles for all those years!

Have a great weekend!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...